The energy of the Charlotte region may have been sparked by its racing roots, but restaurants, craft breweries, nightlife and culture keep fueling the excitement in North Carolina's largest city. Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame to explore behind-the-scenes exhibits. Raft the rapids where Olympians train at the U.S. National Whitewater Center. Spend a day on the water at Lake Norman or an afternoon at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. You can also shop the outlets at Concord Mills or browse hundreds of furniture lines in one spot in Hickory.
Attractions to Explore
- Carowinds Theme Park - For over 40 years, Carowinds has been right at the heart of where the Carolinas come together, so we know a thing or two about Carolina culture. It's something mighty special, and we want you to see (and taste and experience) just why we love it here.
- Anne Springs Close Greenway - Nestled amid beautiful lakes and hardwood forests, the Anne Springs Close Greenway is a natural preserve more than twice the size of Central Park, minutes south of Charlotte. Its 2,100 acres serve as a natural buffer from urban development and provide a wide open space for countless activities – from hiking, biking and horseback riding to picnics, kayaking and more.
- Bechtler Museum of Modern Art - The Bechtler is a jewel of a museum, only the second in this country designed by the Swiss architect Mario Botta. It is intimate in scale, delightfully arresting in its spaces and vistas and simple and elegant in its materials.
The collection presented includes works by the most important and influential artists of the mid 20th century including Miró, Giacometti, Picasso, Calder, Hepworth, Nicholson, Warhol, Tinguely, Ernst, Le Corbusier, Chillida and many others. Only a handful of these wonderful artworks have been on public view in the United States. Until now, the collection was privately held by the Bechtler family of Switzerland.
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden - Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, the Carolinas’ Garden for All Seasons, provides guests a chance to reconnect with nature. Located within 380 acres on the banks of Lake Wylie, spectacular gardens, sparkling fountains, a conservatory dedicated to the display of tropical plants and orchids, a visitor pavilion, gift shop and nature walk await the visitor. HGTV named it one of the nation’s “20 Great Gardens” and USA TODAY says the Garden is one of the nation’s best places to “welcome fall with a flourish.” Committed to horticultural excellence, Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is a must-see for all ages.
Places to Dine
- Stoke - There’s a reason everyone at the party always gathers in the kitchen. It’s about more than just the food. It’s about community and connection. We invite you to pull up a chair and stay awhile around our wood-burning oven as we share our craft and our stories with you. It’s like one big dinner party—and you don’t even have to clean the dishes at the end of the night.
- 204 North Kitchen & Cocktail - A rustic-chic choice for locally sourced Southern-leaning American fare plus cocktails & craft beer.
- Alexander Michael's Restaurant & Tavern - A locally owned and operated american tavern in Charlotte’s historic 4th ward serving fresh unpretentious food that is well prepared with quality ingredients. We offer a wide selection of craft, imported, and domestic beers as well as a full bar and a modest wine selection.
- Aria Tuscan Grill - Aria is open daily for lunch and dinner, offering two separate dining rooms, two bar areas and Charlotte's only Chef's Table. Private and Semi-Private Dining is available, as well as Custom Family Style Menus, Pasta Tastings and "Nose to Tail" Dinners.